Mandkila Tal, locally known as Manikila Talav is situated near the ancient mound of Nagar, which was the capital site of the Malava Republic. The Mandkila Tal inscription dated V.S. 1043 (A.D. 987) reveals that prosperity of Nagar which was anciently known as Malava-nagara, continued up to the tenth century A.D. The first Vishnu temple, according to the inscription, was built by Nagahari, a rich merchant of the Dharkat caste, on the bank of a tank known as Vaidya-tadaga. The inscription was issued by Nandana, fourth in descent from Nagahari, who either built a new temple or refurbished the old one and enshrined therein images of the gods Vishnu, Harihara and Surya, who are invoked in the initial verses. The poet who composed this ornate inscription is high flown Sanskrit verses is stated to be a descendent of the famous author Bana, court poet of king Harshavardhana (early seventh Century A.D.). The existing temple is a modern structure enshrining old images.